Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A good groove

People have been asking how it is going & now that we have been home almost a month (!) I must say, things could not be better. I am loving parenting with Ben, just being a mom and Kai is such a dream baby that I feel like I have to pinch myself and wake up to the real mommyhood soon. We continue to deal with some sleep anxiety, and the FOMS syndrome is still hanging around, but last night we had a major breakthrough!
I decided that even though we are on a schedule, eat every 4 hours and going through an eat, play, sleep cycle, I still felt like I was at his mercy at night.. he has been waking me up twice a night and for those who know me, I like my sleep. I fully understood and accepted when we signed up for this that there would be less sleep and that it would often be disturbed, but according to my mommy friends and "the books", by almost 7 months old he should be sleeping longer than a 5 hour stint without eating! and Yes, before you ask, the night bottle is with cereal and we have recently started solids 2x's a day now, which I think was part of the problem - I just wasn't filling him up enough during the day, poor guy.. So, anyway, to make myself feel a little more in control I decided that we would wake him to feed him before we go to bed and then hope that he would last until Ben rises at 5:15am to wake and feed him again - On our time, not his! and it worked great - last night at least :). I feel so much more in control already!! and his naps are getting longer, he is going down easier, I can tell when he is hungry, tired or just cranky and needs to laugh. He is responding so well to our voices, reaching for us and looking for us in a crowded room.. He and Norman are good buddies, no fear or apprehension from Kai and respect and curiosity from Norm. Norm does try to sneak in a cuddle now and then, which I am not usually ok with b/c Norm curls up half on top of Kai instead of next to him, but there you go..
We are all in Love.


3 comments:

whatever_heather said...

So good to hear that you guys are getting into a groove! Kai sounds so sweet, and I can't wait to meet him! Sleeping more than 6 hours will happen soon, and it is AWESOME.

Autumn said...

Yea! Who knew we would all cheer over 5-6 hours of sleepy time? LOL

Beth said...

What a cutie you have on your hands! Sleep will come... look at it this way- it HAS too!!!! :) Hang in there.