Friday, January 30, 2009

Fellow Moms.. Advice needed..

So here it is: I am enrolling Kai in preschool for the first time next fall and I am not quite sure what to do.. His birthday is Aug 31, so he officially will be 2, the cut-off date is Sept 1, which would put him in the 2-3 year old class next year.. The school is super helpful and will let me enroll him in either this class or the younger, which would be kids from about 19-23 months old which would make him the oldest in the class by a month or so over the other kids.. instead of almost a year younger..

My reasons for wanting to put him in the younger class: He is still tiny.. It's his first year (he does great in the Church nursery and my Moms group nursery).. He didn't start walking until 16months.. I am afraid the older kids will just totally run him over..

Reasons for wanting to put him in the older class: He would probably learn a lot more.. I'm sure he would be fine, I'm probably just being ridiculous.. I'm sure he won't be the only kid in this situation.. & the kicker - I could enroll him for 3 days a week instead of just 2..

I should also mention that if I do not hold him back now, I will probably do it before Kindergarten, they offer "young 5's" classes around here or 2nd yr Pre-K, just for this situation.. Just not sure if I should do it now, or then..

advice??

4 comments:

ErinM said...

I would do it now. When he's older he'll realize that his friends are moving on and he's not, and it might be harder for him. I wouldn't worry too much about the learning aspect of it, since they're really just playing at this age. There have been studies that show that kids who don't go to pre-K are a little behind when they start kindergarten but have caught up by the end; it's even less of a concern for younger kids.

*sniff* I can't believe Kai's going to school!

Sara said...

I agree with Erin. It is usually better for kids to be the older ones in the class than the younger ones. Especially for boys. I think it is great that he will be learning social skills!

Autumn said...

I agree with both Erin and Sara...hold him back now... :)

coffeemom said...

I'd hold him back. I was in this exact spot w/ my eldest (now 19 and a soph in college).

HE was super precocious, reading at three (really) and super smart and big/tall for his age too. So we figured we'd go ahead and start him and it'd be ok, younger/est in his class. Well, he was. The whole way through. And it didn't matter at all academically, but socially it gets weirder as a teen when you don't drive until almsot a year later than your peers and so on. And the kicker: he left for college when he still was SEVENTEEN, almost 18, but well, it felt really young!!! For us!! He's doing great, but we all have thought many times aobut how it'd be different if we had held him back, back when it made no difference at all.

M