Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yoga


Seven or eight years ago {wow, really?} I went to my first Yoga class which was held at a local middle school as part of the community night courses. I think I paid $40 for 6-8 weeks of classes which were held in the library, all the tables and chairs pushed out of the way, stacked on top of each other, sometimes with people between the book isles. The class was packed & I was hooked. I would go home and practice my balance poses and I could feel my body getting stronger, more flexible and amazingly, I felt more calm in everyday life.. it was probably all that breathing the teacher made us do. :) My practice has definitely ebbed and flowed over the years, taking classes off and on, mostly when I can find a community course to sign up for. I even made Ben take one with me when we were first married.. I also made him take a dance class.. he really does love me :)

Anyway, my problem is that I don't understand why I can join a gym for $30-40 p/month and yet if I want to take a yoga class from a studio in my area it costs $18 and up! PER Class! So, if I want to go once a week it costs significantly more than my unlimited Gold's membership. Argh. I do understand that going to a dedicated studio will give me access to much better teachers and will advance my personal practice which is exactly what I want, but I just can't afford it.

There are a few centers out there (NY & So CA) that are community based and charge a donation of $10 p/class. I wonder if changing up the concept a little more and just charging a monthly fee for unlimited use, like a gym, would actually work? Why can't it be both a drop in fee of $10 p/class for those who only want to go a few times a month or don't like to commit to anything AND offer a monthly unlimited for like $50.. even $60 would be a bargain compared to what is currently available, but I still think too expensive. My understanding of yoga is that it is to help bring peace to all who practice, teach kindness, humility, charity and recognizing the Devine in each of us. Why is it priced so that only the rich can afford to learn? Why is it not available to everyone? It doesn't take anything but a mat and a teacher.. really, not even the mat is necessary.. just the right attitude I suppose.. and a teacher..

Is anyone interested in learning yoga anyway? Maybe it is just me.. I would need members to fund my little dream studio.. ?volunteers?

Namaste

4 comments:

ErinM said...

I love yoga, and haven't had a chance to do it in forever (seriously, at least a year)--mostly because I haven't made it a priority. If I knew that I had a place to go and could go whenever I wanted for a set price, I would probably go more often.

It always makes me feel so relaxed and centered, but I always feel like there's some little switch in my mind that if I could turn it and relax into the position a little more, it would make a HUGE difference. When I was doing it regularly (2x/week) at USC, I felt like I was just about to turn that switch...and then we moved to Atlanta and I haven't found a place I enjoy going since.

Anonymous said...

I took a yoga class or two when I was a member at LA Fitness. I loved it -- great workout. I've bought some yoga and pilates DVD's but they haven't quite been the same for me.

I would definitely be interested in the community approach you describe but I would only be able to do my work-out around my work schedule.

Sara said...

I, too, would love to take a class. But since I live up, up, up from you all, I wouldn't be able to take a class with you. :-(

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dear-
Would you like a Yoga tape to follow? It is a great thing that truly keeps you healthy.
Love, Dad