Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday-The trip down south

Hello Everyone!
Wow, where do I even start?
Today was INTENSE!!!
We got to meet Kai's birth mother and we are both physically and emotionally drained!!!
After a 3-4 hour drive, breathing in dust and diesel exhaust the whole way down(I think I have the black lung), we finally arrived in Hossana(i dont think i spelled that right).
We all sat down in a room and waited for our turn, Gin and I ended up being called first.
We walked into this small concrete block room, no larger than 12x12, and as we walked in, Musse's birth mom was walking in at the same time.  You'll see in the pictures later on that she is a quite short, she maybe comes up to my should...maybe.
It was so emotional from that point on that it'll be hard to communicate that via email/post.
I'll try and hit a few of the highlights:
She named him after Musse(Moses) from the Bible.
She was very concerned that we would raise him up to love God.
Both her parents are/were Orthodox Christians, she is a Christian but not Orthodox, I would love to know more about that story but the translation was a bit difficult, especially when discussing denominations.
We had her write a note to Musse in our notebook, so precious!
I had put together some pictures of him from the last update we got before we left to give to her. I kinda saved them until the end and she saw it she immediately kissed the photos over and over...not a dry eye in the room, heavy stuff!
Other than that, we had asked a number of other questions and she was so good about answering everything.
We left confident that she was happy with Musse's new family.
I'll leave you with this last note:
We asked her if she had any dreams for him when he grows up, she said she would like to see him become a doctor.
 
So, here we are, completely exhausted, but tomorrow is a new day.  The first half of tomorrow we are bringing the kids back to the guest house and will spend that time with them here. We're all looking forward to that! Should be a great time.
 
Ok, I'm off to bed, and it's only 6:30pm.
 
Until next time,
all of our love,
Ben

13 comments:

lcm0709 said...

The connection with the birthmother of our children is an absolute gift to us, to them and to our children. We are so happy that you were able make this connection.

Laura and Brian

Lauren said...

What a blessed, and God filled day you had. I'm so happy you were able to meet your son's birthmother. I am praying for you guys.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing day you had! I am just in tears reading about Kai's birth mother. What a difficult thing this must have been for her to give him up but what a GOD THING knowing that you are Christian's also and will bring him up to love God. How cool is that how God has worked all this out! I am so amazed!!
Love you guys, Mom B

judith said...

What a God we know and love! A mother's cries to Him from Africa and a couple's cries to Him from Georgia bring together a union only HE could orchestrate! He overwhelms me. He plants in us an internal picture of our destiny and our faith builds in unfulfilled desires as God causes our Spiritual mind to see what is outside our carnal ability and suddenly in the here and now the hope is manifest!! In this case a baby for you and Godly parents for her. I love you! I love the God whom we serve! I cannot wait to see you and to hold your precious son! Love, Aunt Judy

Unknown said...

I bet "intense" was an understatement. But I do firmly belive that his mother saw two incredibly thoughtful God-loving parents who will raise him to be the very best he can be...the world's greatest brain surgeon!

We love you all,
Rihc, Soraya & Kalli

Unknown said...

A doctor-
Does that sound familiar, Gin?
I guess the mother is about Nancy's size (up to Ben's shoulder).
The mother's impression must be a thing to remember.
Love
Ginny's Dad & Mom

Autumn said...

I am moved to tears each time I read the updates...It will mean a lot to your son that you made that connection with his birth mom. What a gift, and I know (as an adoptee) Matt would agree. I agree with all the other post-ers, It's an amazing God we serve. I am priviledged to be included in your journey. Thank you.

Autumn & Matt

whatever_heather said...

Reading your updates is amazing. I am thinking of you guys this week, and I am so glad you got to meet Kai's birthmother.
So happy for you!

4dogmomma said...

Wow! Heavy stuff - but soooo important. I'm glad they (CHSFS) is doing the trip south again. Where is Kai from? (Wodajo is a Modula boy). I am so happy for you guys! Is Masse still there?

Handlyrics said...

WOW. Amazing story. I am happy you were able to meet her. Thanks for the updates. It gives me hope and something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys from Fredericksburg VA. It is so weird that I can be writing to you here in the States and you can read it there in Africa. I am so happy for both of you, and so happy that little Kai is such a happy baby. He will bring you much joy, and Ben if you looked at my Baby Pictures when your Grampy brought me home from the hospital, you would see the huge eyes just like Kai's. He is a very Blessed little boy to have you both for parents. As an adoptee myself, one thing that is so true is "Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone, But still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, You didn't grow under my heart - but in it" Ben and Ginny, that poem is so true as I can attest by John and Edna Bubar truly showing me that I was their's. So I pass this on to my new little 2nd Nephew that he is truly loved by two very special people. I can't wait to come visit him. Love to you both, George & Robyn

Unknown said...

I am becoming a fanatic about reading this blog morning and night. I so look forward to every new bit of information. Through this blog, I feel I am experiencing this journey with you.
You are both doing a great job of keeping everybody up-to-date. I can't express how happy I am. What a blessed adventure this is for our whole family.

Anonymous said...

What emotions!!!  I am wrenched.The children are in the house with you all, that must be fun.  Thanks Ben and Virginia for sharing your experiences; what a wonderful gift you given us all.  Love and miss you, Kelly E.